I know you said that this was Informix, but I'll post the article below anyway for the
benefit of other listers.
Oracle Technology Network > Oracle Magazine > September/October 2002
Turning On Pivot Tables By Jonathan Gennick
http://otn.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/02-sep/o52sql.html
Describes a method for Oracle 9i where you don't have to worry that the table you are
using to generate sequential numbers does not have enough rows for your query.

Author: Jacques Kilchoer