From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Melanie Caffrey
Sent:
Monday, October 06, 2003 3:54 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: Unintentional Humor

Alright.  Now, I feel I have to defend this poor guy.  For if I don’t, who will?

First of all, the book title lists the covered items as

Hidden programs – COMMA – export/import – COMMA

And so forth.

VERY different from something like

Hidden programs:  export/import, SQL*Loader, etc.

Secondly, I’m sure the author didn’t mock up his own press page.

These things are typically created by some “editor” of sorts at the accompanying publisher.

And, if any of you have ever published a book before, you should be intimately familiar with the fact that, nine times out of ten, the people writing these press releases *really* don’t know what they’re writing about.

A few catch phrases thrown around here and there and it’s assumed to be good enough.

What somebody should have told Dave Moore is “NEVER let any press mockups or releases go out without you having gone over them with a fine-toothed comb”.

Otherwise, what just took place in this thread is bound to happen …

Now I can’t speak to the efficacy or accuracy of his book.  All I’m saying is take Web pages, particularly Web pages on publisher Web sites that are touting books they want to sell, with a grain of salt.  And don’t dump on the poor author until you’ve read his book …