-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 12:09 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

I've got Cary's book for about a week now and I have a comment. On page
12
he defines response time as

"The elapsed time between the end of an inquiry or demand on a computer
system and the beginning of a response; for example, the length of the
time
between an indication of the end of an inquiry and the display of the
first
character of the response at a user terminal."

I know from the reference provided that he did not create that
definition
himself. Do you agree with it? I don't. I believe that "it depends" and
that there are cases where the user would define response time as the
time
from initiating the request until the entire transaction is complete,
especially if subsequent work is dependent on the completion. You can
easily play the "evil genie" in these cases by "improving" the response
time such that the first character shows up sooner, yet the last
character
shows up much later (in the vein of first_rows vs. all_rows),
effectively
making things worse for the user. So even the definition of response
time
comes back to the business case. Sometimes the user can continue with
the
next task as soon as the first pieces of the request arrive, while at
other
times she can not until the last pieces are complete.

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle7, 8, 8i, 9i OCP DBA
Centrex Consulting Corporation
http://www.centrexcc.com

Author: Wolfgang Breitling

command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: Orr, Steve