I believe that an 'alter database backup controlfile to trace' loses the
RMAN data stored in the control files if you're not using a repository (if I
remember right from RF's book).

Since we're not using a repository, we've got controlfile autobackup on (in
9i use 'configure controlfile autobackup on').  We dump these disk copies
via filesystem backups as a safety measure.  We also do a backup database,
archivelogs, and then control (but all in one step; I'm not sure I'm clear
on the reason for separating them into three backup sets)....

Rich
--
Rich Holland        (913) 645-1950        SAP Technical Consultant
print unpack("u","92G5S\=\"!A;F]T:&5R(\'!E<FP\@:&%C:V5R\"[EMAIL PROTECTED]");

Author: Rich Holland