Walt Weaver wrote:

> Stephane,
>
> What sort of problems can one expect from logical standby?
>
> I'm toying with the idea of using it as a replication database -- no
> additional schema objects will be created, but users will have read-only
> access to it. It's one of the options I'm looking at.
>
> Seems to me like there was a thread on this a few months ago, but I'm
> not sure...
>
> --Walt

Walt,

This is basically my feelings after the tests :
  o Properly monitoring is rather difficult. You must check at both ends
to have more than a vague feeling that things could have gone awry. This
is just one aspect of a general user-friendliness which first shows up
in a 26 step installation procedure.
  o The automated check for incompatibilities (there is normally a view
to tell you what will not work) is fairly deficient. I have (by mistake)
tested on a schema with lots of (unsupported) LONGs, do you think I got
any warning?
  o Although a surprisingly high number of DDL commands are successfully
replicated (including CREATE USER, etc), others are understandably not
replicated (when you extend a tablespace - well the directory lay-out
may be different, so it makes sense. The workaround is to have
AUTOEXTEND ON, which I am usually reluctant to have), something as
mundane as RENAME is not - with all the ensuing consequences you may
imagine.
  o I have found no way to ensure that the time gap between the two
databases stayed below some predefined threshold. Not sure that issuing
regular ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE on the master is enough.

I wanted to test the performance impact of logical standby by running an
import, first without it, then with it, and also to measure how fast the
copy was catching up, but I've given up my tests after a few ORA-600
errors.

The concept is great, and I am sure to have another look at it ...
later.

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult