On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 06:16:42PM -0400, Doug Smith wrote:

> It is weird.  Pine does not come stock in this version of Oralux

Pine is not free software.  In fact I can't even find it
in Debian package search, so it may not even meet the
requirements for the non-free section of Debian.  That
may explain why it is not in Oralux.

> First of all, where do you have your spool file variable set to pick
> up the mail when it comes into the machine? Is it /var/mail/knoppix?
> Is it /var/spool/mail/knoppix? Does it matter?

Normally the spool file is /var/spool/mail/username
where username is your login name.  For Knoppix it is
just knoppix.  Under Debian it seems /var/spool/mail
is a symbolic link to /var/mail.

> Now, about fetchmail.  Where does it put the mail.

Fetchmail normally talks to the mail server running
on your machine (via port 25, the standard SMTP port).

I think you really need to a run a local mail server,
even though it seems redundant.  It might be possible
to go without and D-I-Y, but it will be more work in
the long run.

The one I use is Exim, which I find the easiest to
configure.  I also use Mutt for reading mail.

Cheers,
--
Andrew Apted