HEllo there, Doug,
        On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Doug Smith wrote:

It is weird.  Pine does not come stock in this version of Oralux, so I
installed it last night.  Now, the problem is the retrieval of mail
messages from the original file where they are brought into the
machine by fetchmail, since pine does not work with pop3 directly.
Here is the question I have.

First of all, where do you have your spool file variable set to pick
up the mail when it comes into the machine? Is it /var/mail/knoppix?
Is it /var/spool/mail/knoppix? Does it matter? These can be links to
the same file, and, I think they are.
        Actually, I don't use fetchmail or a spool file.  I have the
server set up in Pine to deliver the messages.  From Pine's main screen,
hitting s followed by c brings up the configuration menu.  Taking a
bit of a necessary tangent.  You'll want to make sure "show-cursor"
is turned on if the screen reader isn't reading new text to you as
you change lines.  There is an option called "Inbox Path."  Here is my
Inbox Path
line:
 inbox-path                     = {mail.terrencevak.net/pop3}inbox
        Then, when you actually go to open the inbox, you just type in
your user name and password, and you're in.  (I still haven't figured out
how to make Pine put the login info in automatically.)

 Now, I wonder about this: I have absolutely no desire to save any
sent messages nor do I have the desire nor do I feel that I have the disk
space to go saving mountains of messages that I have already read.
When you mark a message for deletion, is there an expunge performed
when pine quits?
        Your sent-mail issue is taken care of in the same menu where you
set your inbox path.  A few lines down from that, there's a line that
says, "default-fcc"  If you delete that value by hitting d, you will not
have a default FCC, and messages will not be saved there once you've sent
them.  And yes, there is an auto-expunge when you quit.  You may need to
check the "expunge without confirm" and/or "expunge without confirm
everywhere" to be sure of this happening.  The result is that it will
auto-expunge messages when you quit, and also when you hit x.

 Now, another question.  When you set up this configuration, you
have to have your mail address so that the program will send out messages
with the right from field.  Is this done by a combination of the
personal-name and domain-name variables?  I thought I had that set up
right, but I was not sure.
        Personal name is actually not the same as your user name.  That's
where you would put whatever name you wanted people to see.  It would be
that part in quotes that tells people who the address belongs to.  What
you want to set is the "customized-hdrs" option.  Here is what I have mine
set to "From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]".

Now, how do you make sure that your reply-to is right?  Is it the same
as the combination of the two parts, the personal-name and the
domain-name?
        I've never really set a reply-to; I think it doesn't generate a
I am going to look at the documentation on the internet site as soon
as I can get back on it.  I have to take care of my wife and I cannot
be on here too long tonight.  I hope to have this fixed before the
weekend.
        Understandable; hope your wife's OK.
Now, you have said that you have never had any success with mutt.  I ...
        Mutt *does* require fetchmail; I've pretty well figured that much.
When I got Pine working, I backed out of trying to make Mutt work and
focused on Pine.  The nice thing with Pine is that the mail retrieval,
storage and sending are all handled by the same program.  From what I've
managed to learn of Mutt, to make it work you have to bring in retrieval
and sending via separate programs.

Terrence