I'm no expert but...

I have seen Sophronitis coccinea growing in the Organ Mountains outside Rio de Janeiro as well as in other sections of the Serra do Mar. It grows continually moist, in bright shade to full sun, epiphytically. Sophronitis cernua grows in the Tijuca Park of Rio and has seeded itself into the Rio Botanical Gardens where it grows in full sun on the trunks of large palm trees. Cernua certainly grows warmer than coccinea. In coastal southern california, about 1/2 mile from the ocean, I grow coccinea in loose sphagnum moss, kept sopping wet, under 50% shade cloth outdoors. Its roots are always cool. My winter temps get to 40F at night and rarely over 85F in the summer daytime. I grow cernua mounted and somewhat shaded in my greenhouse. The greenhouse heater comes on at 53F in the winter. In the summer the greenhouse is simply left open all the time.

Peter Tobias
Encinitas, CA