Dear Aaron;
   Coconut is a good component for Paph. germination, but only the very young
coconuts work.  They have a jelly - like inside, as opposed to having coconut
meat and water. I don't know what the term is called - "Baby coconuts"? I know
that you can get it sometimes in Asian grocery stores or off the tree Ft.
Pierce, south.
   I thought Paphs. dislike banana too. Good luck - Paphs. are picky
germinators.
REgards,
Nancy

Banana is an interesting mix; it's unclear WHY there's such an influence. Some
attribute it to the hormones, but I think it's the sugars. The B852 mixture
from PhytoTech labs (50/50 mix of freeze-dried banana and malto-dextrin) is
very effective at making germination more "comfortable" for some species at 5
grams/liter added to P668 (similar to the 1/2 strength M&S), and very good at
growing on plants in replate at 21 grams/liter added (again) to P668. However,
banana *may* inhibit germination of some species; I suspect that mainly paphs
are affected. Use coconut for these species. Surely someone with more expertise
in the subject (Alan?) will chime in!

Which genera have proven problematic for you?

I'd try experimentation with B852 (PhytoTech labs) on top of P668 or 1/2 MS,
either singly or in conjunction with manipulation of monosaccharides (glucose
at 8-12 grams/liter) or sucrose (10-15 grams/liter) if you must. Glucose
strongly preferred for these terrestrials, but sucrose isn't terribly
objectionable.

Good luck,

-AJHicks
The Orchid Seedbank