I'm also growing some of my orchids in alifor (most of the new seedlings are in fine 
sized alifor).  So far almost all of the seedlings like it and they seem to not get 
bacterial infections as much as the ones in bark  and are hard to over water.  I 
recently repotted a Bifrenaria artropurpurea into clay alifor due to the sphagnum moss 
rotting away in the florida weather.  I also have a Casetum species which has roots 
that have been growing like crazy after I put it in alifor.  Even the Ansellia 
africana seedlings love it.  One of the links that were provided (papua new guinea 
orchid information) said that cymbidiums don't like garden soil but I planted all of 
my terrestrial cymbidiums in Jungle Growth (a garden potting soil) and they just like 
it.  Maybe it's because they put bark, charcoal, and perlite in it.  Also, anybody 
know how to treat a Trigonidium egertonianum that currently has a problem with a 
bacterial infection (I was sold it without knowing it was sick but it soon the two new 
growths got wet and brownish looking.)? I cut off all the infected new growths (now it 
only has the original psuedobulb with two good looking leaves). A small part of the 
pseudobulb has a brownish area but cutting it off would kill the only part of the 
plant left.  I put hydrogen peroxide on the places I cut off the new growths from (I 
even soaked the root system in half water/half hydrogen peroxide liquid for three to 
five minutes to kill the bacterial infection if it reached the root system).  Would 
hydrogen peroxide applied just to the small brownish part of the pseudobulb kill the 
remaining bacterial infection or do I have to try something else? I really want to 
save this plant if I can.  I am also planning on letting the local orchid society 
where the vendor was selling the plants after their lecture there that they sold me a 
bad plant just in case they may be accidently selling bad plants without knowing it.  
I feel that the orchid society should know if their lecturers are telling people what 
good condition their plants are in (which they publicly did at their lecture there) 
and then are selling sick plants.  It seems like a contradiction with the message that 
they are sending.


Alexis Lake
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids

Reply via email to