Hello OGDers :
On 16 July, I asked : "What is the purpose of the following decision (?) : "America's agriculture secretary, Ann Veneman, ended a directive that protects almost 60m acres of national forest in western states from road building. The states will instead be allowed to submit their own conservation and development proposals for the nature spots to the
federal government." (The Economist, 15 July 2004).
Thanks to those who commented :
AJHicks Paul J. Johnson Monica L Jones Scott Minor Mark Sullivan
************
I am thankful for the enlightenment provided (logging, mining, oil exploration, forest fires).
It should be interesting to see if the question is part of the political debate during the coming months.
I was somewhat surprised though that some people did not seem to see a relation between forests and orchids.
Are there any endangered orchid species in the area (western states) where the decision will apply ?
Are local orchid societies (in the western states) concerned about the decision ?
Has the American Orchid Society taken a stand about the decision ?
Regards,
Viateur
_______________________________________________ the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD) [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids

