AJ Hicks questions [OGD V6#370] the  chemistry behind my recommendation of
bleach as a virtually instantaneous  sterilization agent.  He cites the odor of
chlorine in bleach as evidence  of the volatility of hypochlorite.  He is
correct that the manufacture of  bleach involves the uptake of gaseous chlorine by
a very alkaline solution of  lye but he got the chemistry wrong.
Hypochlorite is generated by the  following equation:
        Cl2 + 2OH-  <--->  ClO- + Cl- + H2O
    Although the equilibrium lies strongly to  the right, there is always
some free chlorine present, which accounts for its  odor in bleach; if a small
portion of the chlorine escapes as gas, the  equilibrium compensates for this by
shifting slightly to the left and supplying  replacement elemental chlorine.
Thus there is always an odor of chlorine  coming from bleach without an
appreciable portion of it escaping into the  atmosphere. Therefore, as I originally
stated, no confinement is necessary for  bleach to be effective.  Even my
wife knows this when she does the  laundry.
    The formation of hypochlorous acid at low  pH is of no consequence since
the pH of bleach is high, therefor the statement,  "But if one were to drop
the pH of the second solution..." is irrelevant.   The sodium ion, Na+ has
nothing to do with it!  Yes, acidification could  release a lot of chlorine gas,
but this, too, is irrelevant since we do not  normally add acid to bleach, nor
can I figure out why we would ever want to do  such a foolish and dangerous
thing.
    I know how fast bleach reacts with cellular  material, but the details of
contradicting field tests are not given.   Perhaps the bleach was too dilute,
or perhaps the experimentor did not  understand the need to conduct tests
with reasonably fresh bleach, or perhaps  his tests for live virus were
contaminated by external sources of virus.   If the experimentor did not understand
the
underlying principles of destruction  of virus by bleach perhaps his technic
was flawed.
    AJ repeats one of the most ridiculous myths  of orchidology, namely that
there is something mystical about TSP.  I am  surprised he didn't complete the
myth by mentioning that undissolved crystals  must be at the bottom of the
container, otherwise the magic doesn't work. The  antiviral activity of TSP
arises from its extremely high pH. You can get  the same results by adding 1
teaspoon of lye to a gallon of water. The  statement by AJ that TSP is a more
effective sterilizing agent than bleach  is not even close to true. If the
phosphate in TSP contributed to its  sterilizing ability, why would we expose our
precious orchids to phosphate in  our fertilizers?  Phosphate, like calcium, is
not an "enemy" of orchid  growth but a "friend."
    Virkon S is cited as a chlorine based  disinfectant, but it is NOT
chlorine or hypochlorite, which we are  discussing.  Table salt is also chlorine
based, but has minimal toxicity  unless we are prone to hypertension.
    A compendium of orchid viruses is included  by AJ without explanation of
what relevance it has for the effectiveness of  bleach in destroying virus.
    I apologize for being so harsh in  responding to AJ's criticisms, but I
habitually crusade against myths of orchid  culture that are repeated from one
orchid grower to another with strong  conviction, but are nevertheless without
firm scientific support.  Growing  orchids properly is challenging enough
without paying blind respect to these  extraneous myths.