I recently wrote:

"I do not know of anyone who is successfully propagating P. susannae
on any scale (either commercial or hobby-level). (snippety) PLEASE DO
NOT BUY THIS SPECIES ( 'cos you'll just be contributing to it's
extinction) !!!!!!!"

I did check around before writing that statement. No-one in this part
of the world offers seed-grown P. susannae, and a Google search didn't
produce any of the usual nursery listings. In fact, the Google search
produced a measly 2 results for cultivation (rather than
images/conservation listings/etc). One of those was a request for help
from a flask-holder, and the other was an AOS provisional award for
Pecteilis susannae 'Lafayette' (9/20/04), exhibited by Michael
Gallagher.

The AOS plant had only 2 flowers and one bud, and other on-line
illustrations show plants with 1-3 flowers. This is consistent with my
posted statement that "Plants in
cultivation usually survive for 1-2 years, then die." 2-3 flowers
indicates a weak plant that is struggling to survive. A healthy plant
should carry 7-11 flowers.

My statement was true .... I didn't know anyone who was successfully
propagating P. susannae. However, there appears to be some good news
on this front.

Both Nick Plummer and George Anderson have told me that Hoosier
Orchids sometimes offers seedlings of this species. Murray Shergold
has also contacted me, stating that he has it growing fine in his lab
& nursery. Murray also said that he is aware of other nurseries
raising this species in both Australia & South Africa.

That is obviously excellent news. I'm happy to be able to amend my
sweeping statement to:

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS SPECIES UNLESS THE SELLER CAN SHOW YOU THAT THE
PLANTS ARE SEED GROWN ( otherwise you'll be contributing to the
extinction of this species).

Since Murray has had success in growing this species for longer than
the usual 1-2 years, maybe he'd oblige Viateur & others by telling us
all the best conditions for successful cultivation. I know some people
in this part of the world who need this advice, and I'll be happy to
pass it on to them before they kill yet more plants.

Cheers,

Peter O'Byrne