I have 2-3 or so seed-grown clones each of several different species of Madagascan Oeceoclades, including spatulifera.  Unfortunately, I also have not had the spatulifera flower (perhaps the plants are not old enough).  I grow all of them in the mix that I use for succulent/xerophytic plants (peat/perlite/vermiculite, with added slow-release minerals and some trace elements).  Of this group, the ones that have flowered so far are roseovariegata, which flowers easily (so far...), and perrieri, one of which was a first-bloom seedling this year.

On the other hand, I have a plant of O. decaryi from a division that I bought about 15 or so years ago that has never flowered.  It's vigorous and vegetatively beautiful, however.

I would also like to hear of techniques for inducing flowering in these species, even though they are worth growing for the leaves alone.  For me, O. spatulifera seems to be the most difficult to maintain as a vigorous plant.  Any tips on growing this species will be appreciated.

Brian O'Brien

At 01:50 PM 11/16/2005, you wrote:
From Linda Petchnick [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 
Can anyone tell me how to get an Oeceaclades spathulifera to bloom.
An orchid grower friend has had a specimen for about ten years and cannot get it to bloom. 
I very much want to paint this plant.  The leaves are very dry and look like a rattle snake.
Anything you can tell me about this plant would be appreciated.
Linda Petchnick – Orchid Painter
 
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

--
Brian A. O'Brien, Department of Chemistry, Gustavus Adolphus College
800 West College Avenue, Saint Peter, Minnesota  56082  U.S.A.
e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
tel. (507)933-7310     fax (507)933-7041   http://www.gustavus.edu/~bobrien

_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

Reply via email to