At 04:23 PM 9/21/2008 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Prem,
>
>thanks for this post, the species was unknown to me. The first thing
>that struck me was the labelum in the photo in the bottom centre
>(extreme flower closeup) ... striking resemblance to our Serapias here
>in Europe. Is it known what insect pollinates this species ?
>
>regards,
>Fred

Hi Fred,
   Serapias is a member of the Orchidoid subtribe, while Pteroglossaspis is a
member of the Cymbidioid subtribe, so there's quite a gap, relationally,
between them.  The flower shape definitely does look similar.  I do not know if
a specific pollinator for this species has been identified, although it seems
apparent from field observations that it definitely requires pollination
assistance, as the capsule-to-flower ratio is not incredibly high.

---Prem

Prem Subrahmanyam
curator, www.flnativeorchids.com
The Florida Native Orchids Website