> etcetera. One interesting news clipping that I picked up in Lima last month
> was the following. A detailed study was done on the orchid flora in seven of
> the relatively level hectares surrounding the M Picchu site, which is of
> course one of the most visited and most studied places in the entire Andes.
> Unhappily I have lost the clipping itself, but the burden of it was the
> following: that the investigators identified around 270 species, of which no
> less than seven were new. That is, more than one in forty were new to science,
> in a place with nearly one million visitors per annum. Twenty miles away, the
> same river that flows past the Picchus breaks a mountain range to enter the
> lowland jungle, at the Pongo de Manique. This is supposed to be one of the
> most biodiverse regions on earth. Quilabamba, at one end of the Manique ca?on,
> gets about 20 foreign visitors every year. Who knows what may lurk there?
> ______________________________
>
> Oliver Sparrow

And opposed to that is a study (by Koopowitz??) that says the more a place is
studied the more species disappear.  I haven't found the exact article yet,
only a reference to it in "Victoria Sosa and Teodoro Platas 1998. "Extinction
and Persistence of Rare Orchids in Veracruz, Mexico," in: Conservation Biology
12(2): 451-455." - at http://www.jstor.org/pss/2387515  Sorry, it only gives
the first page.

Perhaps your secluded valley hides 'The stuff that dreams are made of."

K Barrett
N Calif, USA