Orchid Keeper's Rant Part 2

If you are struggling to come up with enough villians for your piece, you can
always fall back upon upon one of the nearly universal symbols of
totalitarianism: Nazis, Communists, the American Civil Liberties Union and
Planned Parenthood. For the greatest emotional impact go with the Nazis, whose
primacy in the Pantheon of Evil remains unchallenged. Offer a (seemingly
logical) progression that leads, for example, from a natural disaster to the
apogee of Nazi culture, the mass extermination camps. Who but Satan's minions
can argue in favor of any actions which may ultimately lead to genocide?

Orchid Keeper provides an interesting combination of villians, though I must
object to the inclusion of DOS in this list. Isn't Windows a much greater
threat?

Style Points
While those who teach writing courses in our universities may recommend some
sort of structure to your writings, the true ranter knows otherwise. An
effective rant should reflect the writer's mental processes at work, and should
contain liberal doses of non-sequiturs, logical fallacies and garbled syntax.

Nothing gets the readers' attention like capital letters. For emphasis, set
Caps Lock to ON. Statements written in lowers-case letters seem calm and
deliberative, almost collegial. Capitals, in contrast, seem like shouting, like
you really turned up the volume. Capital letters imply that the writer really
means what he says, suggests that he may be at his wit's end, and that the next
step could be some irrational or possibly even newsworthy act. Read a rant that
is exclusively in capital letters, and you can just see that loaded handgun and
a bottle of whiskey beside the keyboard! For comparison, consider the following
two statements: I know where you live. I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE. The implications
are made clear with the simple use of the Caps Lock key.

Readers of a good rant should feel like they just sat down at a bus stop next
to some homeless schizophrenic who appears to be in conversation with someone
else, though he sits alone. You're not sure if he's talking to you or some
inner voice, you have no clue what the conversation is about, and you
sympathize with his apparent illness, but mostly you just wish he would go away.

Thanks for the entertainment, Orchid Keeper!

Regards,
Rick Barry