I recently attempted to post the following, but my submission was relegated to
some electronic holding cell due to the fact that it exceeded the 10K size
limit. I would have thought that as a result of the current global financial
meltdown my commentary would have been devalued to well below that 10K limit by
now, but apparently the servers at OGD have been overworked lately,
recalculating the value of Kenneth's shares in the national bank of Iceland.
Accordingly, I hereby submit my own rant divided into two sections, creatively
titled parts 1 and 2 respectively.

Orchid Keeper's Rant Part 1

I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to Orchid Keeper for providing us with
such a classic example of internet ranting (OGD vol.10, issue 294). For those
of us aspiring to reach similar heights of incomprehensibility, OK's recent
submission could serve as a blueprint for success. It may be instructive to
explore the techniques employed by this obviously accomplished ranter. We can
all learn from this masterpiece of the art.

The Victims
It is always a good idea to start with a statement of sympathy for the victims
of some event, a declaration that all but the most cold-hearted will agree
with. In  ranting circles this is known as 'The Hook'. In Orchid Keeper's rant
the victims of the recent hurricanes serve this purpose handily. Nearly any
sort of victim will serve this purpose, though it is best to steer away from
victims who in the end (at least in the logical minefield you call your mind)
may turn out to be the villians of your commentary, like minorities,
undocumented immigrants, or senior citizens.

A list of possible victims includes (but is not limited to) women, children,
babies, fetuses, embryos, gametes, the family, organized religion,
heterosexuals and puppies.

Ultimately, the victim in most rants turns out to be the writer himself.

The Villians
Effective internet ranting demands antagonists, the Bad Guys responsible for
all that is wrong in this world. Perhaps it is best to begin with government,
government of any form, whose ultimate aim is to enslave all patriots and cast
its citizens into poverty and despair. Into this conspiracy of evil throw in
the media, government's propaganda strongarm. If government and the media don't
instill the fear of God into your readers, add the threat posed by some unnamed
conspiracy of evil-doers who are even now plotting to deprive us of our natural
rights. Orchid Keeper offers as the locus of this conspiracy in the U.S. the
state of Illinois, and names Leo Schordje as the ringleader. In truth, this may
simply be a case of professional jealousy, since Leo has produced a few notable
rants himself.

Sometimes it may be necessary to be somewhat vague in defining the villians of
your commentary. Ranters in Antarctica, for example, like to define Northerners
as their antagonists, which provides nearly unlimited quantities of Bad Guys.

(For the thrilling conclusion to this waste of rapidly diminishing resources
please see Orchid Keeper's Rant Part 2)