The last time this happened to me, on an E. (A.) Cochleata, it was because the
eyes at the base of the plant were all burnt off by fungi/algae.  Come to think
of it, very recently, I noted excessive keikiing on a Phal type Dendrobium
hybrid, and decided to investigate before giving away the last of these keikis,
and found the base of the plant rotten.  In both cases, the keiki was set into
a pot at keiki root level, bulbs buried, and growth was so good with the extra
help of a large portion of bulb, that both bloomed a year later.  Cynthia
  Subject: [OGD] Adventitious keikis on trichopilia
  I noticed two keikis atop neighboring pseudobulbs at leaf axils while
  gathering up the trichopilias into crates as I try to finish the year's
  repotting before winter sets in (I repot outdoors in the back yard
  because I have more room and I don't have to worry about the mess).

  I have posted a pic on my flickr page at:

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/?saved=1

  I have seen such things develop on the tops of pseudobulbs before on a
  few oncidinae, but they usually don't mature and eventually die back.
  These seem to be becoming viable plantlets, growing roots and even a
  second growth on one of them.

  I'd be interested in hearing from those in the know about these
  adventitious growths - why they happen, how to encourage their
  formation. I'm particularly happy to see these as they are on an
  extremely rare and hard to obtain plant, T.eneidae, the flower of which
  can be seen on my homepage at:

  http://www.orchidcourt.com/tricpics.html

  Tennis Maynard

  End of Orchids Digest, Vol 10, Issue 299