On 19 February 2015 at 16:37, Christian de Larrinaga <c...@firsthand.net>
wrote:

> 1/ HMG should renumber their  networks by going to v6. By far simplest
> and I expect lowest cost solution if you take this in the round.
>
> 2/ v4 legacy apps and services / networks can be tunnelled and gatewayed.
>
> 3/ The HMG IP net management are examples of true "dark nets". Does that
> make "dark nets" evil? I don't think so. Time for a little less
> molestation of the term dark net.
>
> 4/ HMG may find they do not own clear title to sell these blocks
> although receiving a release fee may be appropriate to help manage an
> HMG transition to v6 and to make the released blocks available for RIPE
> region and possibly elsewhere as intra RIR transfer policies develop.

Agreed about the idea of selling IP addresses as they will have been
allocated by RIPE or IANA back in the 90s. Interestingly the UK govt has
two class 8s, belonging to the MoD and the oddly, the DWP. I suspect that
the latter occurred because of the network project that the Department of
Employment did back around that time. There have been a couple of
precedents - Wikipedia says that Merck and Co sold part of their /8 to
Amazon privately, and I seem to recall that Eli Lilly released part of
their block in the early 2000s and extended IPv4's lifespan.

Not sure about moving to IPv6 straight away - it's the best idea for sure
and is gaining traction now but the cost of entry still isn't cheap and
would be much less so for the government irrespective of whether standard
hardware supports it natively. It would be revolutionary in many ways but
it's also a complicated transition on a small level so at the level of a
government department or even a country it would be an enormous undertaking.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"