Interesting! Your analysis suggests PSN is not so much a network rather
a dated way to gateway third party networks based on a model of each
network using incompatible protocols a la 1980s. Using IP should have
removed the need for that.

So your solution may well be the correct one. Do away with PSN and setup
an Internet or at least an IP exchange point to peer government networks.

That would solve a lot of hassle and could support v6 and v4 so the
choice can be made as convenient to the various parties.

Christian

--
Christian de Larrinaga
FBCS, CITP, MCMA