"Participant numbers are down, but then that seems to be the case generally
for all post COVID events."

I think this varies a lot, though not in a way where I've figured out any
patterns.  For example our dance (Cambridge MA, N95 required, relatively
young group) has averaged <https://www.bidadance.org/graphs> 155 for the 12
months since restarting vs 127 for the 12 months immediately pre-covid.

Jeff