On 15/08/13 19.56, Gerardo @neorigami.com wrote:
Larry asked if the "flapping crane" was a traditional model.

To my knowledge, there's the "flapping bird" and the "traditional crane".
Both of them are traditional models. Although its folding process is almost
the same, only the one with the thinner limbs is considered a crane, while
the one that flaps is considered a generic bird.
Those two are the most well-known, yes. However, there is also a nice flapping crane which combines the two, and I'm pretty sure that is the one Larry refers to. The classic book "The Magic of Origami" by Alice Gray and Kunihiko Kasahara, 1977 revised edition 1985, has it as "A more elegant form" of the flapping bird on page 86 which is marked "Traditional"; I believe they view it as a simple reworking of the crane with a feature from the flapping bird, but it is not clear from the text.

Best regards,
    Hans

Hans Dybkjær
papirfoldning.dk