Thus spake "Vishwas Deval" <vish...@devalgroup.com> on 5/6/14 8:31 PM:

>... Things
>become much easier if this extra paper is cutoff leaving only a small
>portion to keep the corner graft in place. Final model is better
>looking. There are many such instaces where part of the paper is folded
>in and is never used. As I am not a purist about square paper I cut off
>this extra paper and fold the model. Question is if I bring such a model
>for display at one of Origami exhibitions will it be accepted as true
>Origami or get rejected for having cut off extra paper?.

Different origami exhibitions have their own criteria, so you need to
check with the specific exhibition you're considering. For most origami
conventions, pretty much anything goes, but you should say what you did in
its label. For example:

"Eupatorus gracilicornis"
Designed by Dao Cuong
Folded by Vishwas Deval
>From a square with the corner removed

>And to be honest are such models really from square paper?

No. It's from a nonregular pentagon (if I understood your description).
There's no harm (and much good) in just saying what you did.

A lot of my tessellations and geometrics are folded from weird shapes
(like, really irregular serrated polygons). I just say what they are. Then
people can decide for themselves if they want to stick their personal
label of "origami" on them.

Robert