I find David Shall's Napkin Ring to be very practical, not just for holding
napkins, but also for carrying rolls of paper, replacing ribbon on a
package, for a quick bracelet/headband, for a kid's rolling toy, for
hanging things, for an eye-catching way to leave a note or business-card
(tuck into the inner pocket of the ring).

Yes, I still use the traditional newspaper hat to keep off the sun -- old
folks remember it fondly, kids who hardly know what a newspaper is are
amazed and delighted.

Origami arrows -- very handy for posting temporary signs. (Fold a Waterbomb
Base on one end of a rectangle. Fold in the long cut edges under the
extended points of the Waterbomb Base.  When you're done with the sign,  a
few more folds turns it into a Frog action model.)

Origami booklet (not for purists, since it requires a cut) -- i use these
often for taking notes on recycled paper.

Someone in the forum mentioned action toys to keep kids entertained. To my
mind, that's one of the most practical uses for origami ever, anywhere. I
wouldn't limit it to action models --- the kids find their own ways to make
almost any model an action model. Put together some Traditional Magazine
Cover boxes, the Waterbomb, Business card cubes, or my Building blocks
<http://www.giladorigami.com/origami-database/Building%20blocks%20Karen%20Reeds>
(1985
Origami USA Convention volume), you've got blocks to build with or safe
"balls" for playing catch.

Small packets to hold coins or tokens.  My Interlock Change Purse
<http://www.giladorigami.com/origami-database/Interlock%20Change%20Purse%20Karen%20Reeds>
 (1991
Origami USA COnvention volume) uses a dollar bill to hold spare change.
The traditional Seed-Packet is very useful for holding small odd-shaped
objects or powders (seeds, nuts, candies, coins, cookies, screws, salt,
sugar, flashdrives....)

Gilad's origami database conveniently includes "useful" as a category
http://www.giladorigami.com/origami-database/useful  (Thanks, Gilad!)

Karen

 Karen Reeds, co-ringleader, Princeton Public Library Origami Group.
Affiliate of Origami USA, http://origamiusa.org/
We usually meet 2nd Wednesday of the month, 6:30-8pm, 3rd floor. Free!
We provide paper! All welcome! (Kids under 8, please bring a grown-up.)
Princeton Public Library info:  609.924.9529
http://princetonlibrary.org/
Next meeting: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 6:30-8pm  -- Laura Kruskal will
teach new  models from Paper Canoe base.
karenmre...@gmail.com