I spotted a mention of origami in a posting on  a history of the book
listserve  [SHARP-L] tthat prompted a bit of historical research.

Peter D Verheyen mentioned origami in his posting (see below)  about Ruth
Zechlin's Soldaten Werkbuch für Freizeit und Genesung (2nd ed., Otto
Maier, Ravensburg 1943). I found a copy of this "Soldiers' workbook for
recreation and convalescence" in the Princeton University Library and
thought I'd post a description.

Zechlin (1899-1966) published the first of her many handicrafts books for
children in 1931. New editions/translations were still coming out long
after her death.

The soldier's workbook groups paperfolding with a variety of other kinds of
puzzles. Zechlin gives diagrams and/or photos of six models for practical
things or to enclose in letters for fun (pp 37-42):

   - pentagon from a knotted strip of paper
   -  traditional water-cup
   - magazine-cover box ("out of a postcard. This little box stems from an
   old pharmacy. Earlier it was used for holding powders, but now we use it
   for as a container for pins and needles and it is also good as an ashtray.
   " It even holds water, so it can be used for a paintbox.)
   - a family of crows ("sent in a military mail letter to amuse the
   children at home")
   -  flapping bird ("Swans, folded like the crows. Both are old Japanese
   folded models." )
   - the steamboat ("this  can also be sent in a letter."  Smokestacks can
   be cut and rolled out of paper, or "one can also use cigarettes for
   smokestacks. That would make a neat surprise for a comrade.")  [This model
   has a a couple extra folds at the end that I'd never seen before.]

I think the diagrams for the birds would be tricky to follow on their own.
Zechlin doesn't say that the "Swan" can flap its wings.

Other related crafts include making chess or checkers pieces from paper,
cardboard box-construction, bookbinding, basketry, folding a box from
birchbark, and weaving shoes out of strips of birchbark ("as done by
country people in Finland and Norway").

The models illustrated in the book were made by the author and her students
in schools and hospitals. At the end of the book, there is an advertisement
for her Workbook for Girls, Activities for the Sick Child, and Happy
Nursery: a book for mother and child, along with other arts and crafts
books by other authors.

The diagrams use only short dashes to indicate folds and occasional arrows.

I've scanned the relevant pages and front/backmatter..