I've been asked to teach origami to a large group of 3rd-5th graders. I have
the option of dividing them up into smaller groups. My early idea is to teach
each of three groups a simple model they could later teach them to each other,
so that each child eventually learns three models. I can leave internet links
to the diagrams and/or videos for the teachers, should the kids need reminders.
I can also leave appropriate paper for each. Opinions on this?
Additionally, I was thinking it would be fun to teach toys with different
characteristics to each group, such as a Chinese jumping frog for the spring
action, a popper for the sound, and then...? What is a good/simple toy for this
age, along the lines of a flapping bird or barking dog? Or what other types
would you suggest? I will have approximately 30 minutes with each group.
Depending on how the kids do, I think I should also have an extra super quick
and easy model to fill in any extra time. I'm not sure how long it will take
each group to get settled, or how quickly they will pick up on the folds.
I would appreciate insights from those of you who teach elementary school kids.
Thank you in advance!
Dawn Tucker,O'Fallon, MO