Thus spake "Origami on behalf of Matthew Gardiner"
<origami-boun...@lists.digitalorigami.com on behalf of m...@airstrip.com.au> on
10/18/17, 4:15 AM:

For instance, I’m sure that Fujimoto-sensei published plenty, and its clear
that Tomoko Fuse's spiral work is all what is now known in academic circles as
the Kresling pattern - though I haven’t gotten to the bottom of who published
first, Kresling’s demonstration of how to create one with buckling is very very
good, and Fuse’s spiral work is just beautiful.
<<<<

A fairly thorough analysis of the triangulated cylinder pattern (sometimes
called Kresling pattern) was carried out by Simon Guest in the mid-1990s in his
PhD work. Here’s BibTeX info on the papers:

% Triangulated cylinders
@article{gp-tfotp1-94,
title={The folding of triangulated cylinders, part {I}: {Geometric}
considerations},
author={Guest, Simon D. and Pellegrino, Sergio},
journal={Journal of Applied Mechanics},
volume={61},
pages={773--777},
year={1994},
publisher={American Society of Mechanical Engineers},
}

% Triangulated cylinders
@article{gp-tfotp2-94,
title={The folding of triangulated cylinders, part {II}: {The} folding process},
author={Guest, Simon D. and Pellegrino, Sergio},
journal={Journal of Applied Mechanics},
volume={61},
pages={778--783},
year={1994},
publisher={American Society of Mechanical Engineers},
}

% Triangulated cylinders
@article{gp-tfotp3-96,
title={The folding of triangulated cylinders, part {III}: {Experiments}},
author={Guest, Simon D. and Pellegrino, Sergio},
journal={Journal of Applied Mechanics},
volume={63},
pages={77--83},
year={1996},
publisher={American Society of Mechanical Engineers},
}

HTH,

Robert