> On 18 Oct 2017, at 2:40 pm, Robert J. Lang <rob...@langorigami.com> wrote:
>
> Thus spake "Origami on behalf of Matthew Gardiner"
> <origami-boun...@lists.digitalorigami.com on behalf of m...@airstrip.com.au>
> on 10/18/17, 4:15 AM:
>

> For instance, I’m sure that Fujimoto-sensei published plenty, and its clear
> that Tomoko Fuse's spiral work is all what is now known in academic circles
> as the Kresling pattern - though I haven’t gotten to the bottom of who
> published first, Kresling’s demonstration of how to create one with buckling
> is very very good, and Fuse’s spiral work is just beautiful.
> <<<<
>
> A fairly thorough analysis of the triangulated cylinder pattern (sometimes
> called Kresling pattern) was carried out by Simon Guest in the mid-1990s in
> his PhD work.
>
> title={The folding of triangulated cylinders, part {I}: {Geometric}
> considerations},
> title={The folding of triangulated cylinders, part {II}: {The} folding
> process},
> title={The folding of triangulated cylinders, part {III}: {Experiments}},

Thank you Robert!

From the articles, it appears the inspiration was a model form the desk of C R
Calladine who, after a little more research, seems to be pretty big in
tensegrity structures. I can see how the triangulated cylinder pattern (also
Kresling pattern is succinct) - could have arisen from investigating this kind
of structure. Thanks again for the tip.

Its nice to have a narrative for the development and discoveries.

best, Matthew