Thus spake "Origami on behalf of Jorge E. Jaramillo"
<origami-boun...@lists.digitalorigami.com on behalf of odrau...@gmail.com> on
7/28/19, 3:35 PM:

<snip>

    I think I remember having read somewhere that Maekawa's theorem about the
flat foldability of the creases at a vertex having a difference of +-2 between
mountains and valleys has exceptions but I've never come across any of them,
except for vertices on edges.

    So is it true about the exceptions?

Maekawa's Theorem applies only to vertices in the interior of a crease pattern,
and only applies to flat-foldable patterns.

    Also, is there a theorem about edge vertices?

There are theorems about edge vertices, but not ones that relate to the number
of mountain and valley folds. It's easy to construct an edge vertex with any
given number of valleys and mountains.

Robert