Hi Ian,

I find that most of the papers the Origami Shop sell are tougher than
kami.  In particular the golden river paper is my favorite and their tissue
foil is pretty neat too.  They are expensive.  Probably the best cheap
solution that is durable is double tissue.

I found that if I only burnish a crease the first time I make it and
burnish to better settle complex sinks and collapses and the rest of the
time keep a light touch to the folding, it is much less likely for to
fatigue or tear kami and the paper still looks crisp and sharp at the end.

David