On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 9:04 AM Weinstein, Michael <weinstein...@osu.edu>
wrote:

> Rules of conduct (RoC) and Centerfold.

This discussion isn't really about Centerfold, but you do bring up some
points that I would like to address.

Yes, enforcing a CoC does take some effort, but I believe it is part of the
work of running a modern convention.  CenterFold is already doing the work,
according to John, because he has handled every complaint he has received
in the past (apparently mostly minor class disruptions, as I understand
it).  This just formalizes and structures the process and, potentially,
lets the work be delegated to other people instead of requiring the
attention of the main organizers.  I would also note that the level of
effort needed to manage this process for a convention of a couple hundred
people for a weekend is not the same as a university setting with tens of
thousands of students, faculty, and staff.

> This is what the volunteers of Centerfold have been asked to do.  And I
> will note that *no where* have I seen even one person volunteer to write
> said RoC and/or implement it at Centerfold.  I for one don’t want to go
> anywhere near it.  You can wind up in the middle of things you don’t want
> to be in the middle of.

There has been a lot of discussion and it may be easy to miss, but one of
the first responses in this discussion was from Carol Martinson who cited
her experience with writing CoCs for the library she worked for and offered
to specifically help Centerfold write one.  John Scully then replied that
he was interested in taking her up on that offer.  Search your email for
the subject line "CoC - Volunteering Offer".

I am pretty sure that other people would have been happy to help create
sooner if their requests for and questions about a CoC at Centerfold had
been met with more than scorn, derision, and stonewalling.  In my email
discussion with John that started in Sept. 2019, that is what I was trying
to do.

As far as for implementing and executing a CoC at Centerfold, at least one
person in the facebook discussion volunteered to be part of a group that
would receive incident reports and manage the process.  I am sure that a
convention with adequate goodwill and social capital could find other
people willing to help because they consider this an important and
worthwhile effort.  It is also a way that people can volunteer to help
regardless of how far from an event they happen to live.

I, for one, would be willing to act as such a volunteer at a convention
that I felt welcomed to attend.   Unfortunately, Centerfold may have
squandered some of its goodwill and social capital already.

> Says me if we can’t have a gathering of adults for one weekend without the
> expectation that everyone can be civil to everyone, we just shouldn’t do
> it. My enthusiasm for Origami conventions has taken a *BIG* nosedive over
> this.

That is a shame.
Says me if we can't have a reasonable, published set of ground rules for an
event and a way of managing the outcomes, we just shouldn't have the
event.

malachi