Thank you, Anne, for all your offers and help in this discussion.

My expertise is greatest in making actual reports of incidents, over 35 years
worth.  The library system I worked in served a resident population of 150,000,
but anyone in the metropolitan area of 2.5-3 million could freely walk in and
get a library card, including any out-of-state students residing at any of the
campuses in the metropolitan area.  I have legally testified about a report I
wrote and I am aware of one other instance of someone having to give testimony
about a report.  I am very aware of the legal ramifications of writing a report.

John has accepted my offer to help create a report form that should meet
immediate requirements for this summer’s convention.  I have offered to give
training on using neutral language, focusing on actual events and behaviors
rather than personal opinion of the people involved or the situation being
described.  I guarantee no one taking a report will like the form.  I expect
that it will be tweaked before the convention starts, and revised afterwards
and may not look like anything I suggest.  The library’s reporting form changed
greatly over the years as has its Code of Conduct.

With all that said, and without the backing of a legal department and HR
office, I am not afraid to take incident reports at Centerfold, either
officially or if someone is uncomfortable approaching one of the people on duty.

My overall opinion of the situation is that it’s hard to have to change things
you have been nurturing for 11 years because of changes in societal
expectations.

Carol Martinson

Sent from my iPad