Thank you Elina, for asking this question.

Also, thank you to the journal search suggestions; I think I will search as
well. I’m curious to see what research has found out…

From my own experience as a long time folder in NYC, it did seem to me that
there were differences in what different genders folded. But that that
difference was also related to age, imo.

For a long time it was mainly male folders doing tessellations and complex
animals etc. And females were more into practical objects, flowers, stars etc.
Again, these are just my observations.

Also - I think some of these differences are being broken down by the newer
younger set of ppl coming into the fold. There are more well-known female
folders now, known for tessellations and complex models etc.  I think that
seeing women creators doing these new model types, is a great way to encourage
young girls to do them as well.

Btw - i don’t wish to say at all, that complex models and tessellations are
greater (in anyway) than any other models. There are stars and modulars with
amazing folding sequences, creative locks, and beautiful results!

For me personally, I see a change in what I want to fold these days. When I was
younger, I did fold more complex items. I didn’t fold dragons and insects much
but def complex models. Now, as an older folder, I am finding myself liking
much simpler models, and being quite specific about what I’ll learn and fold.
Like modulars w less than 12 pcs only, or flat models of birds and flowers, or
bird models, etc. Not sure if my changing folding inclinations (vis-a-vis age)
is something others have experienced or not but it’s been a surprising
revelation to me.

I hope everyone is doing well. Staying healthy and folding happily.

Best
Vishakha
NYC
.

On Aug 10, 2022, at 16:07, Elina Gor via Origami