Dear origamists,

Is there any ongoing project related to 'teaching origami in a workshop',
in terms of recommendations on how to better teach specific folds?

In the last 2+ covid years, most of us have attended several zoom sessions,
and especially because of the "remote" character (which does not permit the
teacher to see how the participants are doing...), many of us could have
experienced troubles in understanding/following explanations.

Clear and proper description seemed to me very important, much more that a
workshop in person. Therefore, a sort of committee which would draw some
guidelines (hints), would be really helpful for teachers, in my opinion.

Since I'm quite critical and attentive to the explanation techniques and
abilities, I have in my mind some to several observations to share, to help
who leads a workshop, to do better.

Please let me know if there's already something of this kind, ongoing.

One example is the squash fold. I would strongly recommend teachers to
always announce they are going to make a squash fold, instead of "blindly"
going through the classic pre-crease, which sometimes leads to a not
precise squash, at the end. "Expert" folders would have the opportunity to
execute the squash fold how they like to do, if they feel more comfortable
not doing the pre-crease.

What above (squash fold) is not strictly related to the teaching from
remote, but it does not really matter: it belongs to the topic of better
teaching, in my opinion.

If there's no project of this sort, I would like to start one, together
with who would collaborate. Something simple (keep it simple), such as a
shared document where anyone can list what he feels would be better for
teaching specific folds, or anything related to the teaching styles.

Please note: I'm not actually strongly interested in didactic and so on,
I'm not thinking on how to teach in schools to kids, I'm just (simply)
thinking on our several origami conventions and zoom events. Something very
practical, something which can be read by anyone who is going to teach
something, and would like to improve his/her way of teaching.

Lorenzo

--
Lorenzo Lucioni
Duesseldorf - DE