Hi,

We are using Oracle 8.1.5 with NT 4. It all runs on the same box. Maybe by
chance but we managed to connect first time. Here are some settings which
may be of help:

1. We use ODBC with Oracle ODBC driver.

2. tnsnames.ora entry for the service used by ODBC:

ORASERV1 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (SOURCE_ROUTE = OFF)
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)(PORT = 1521))
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(Key = oraserv1))
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = compserv01)(PORT = 1521))
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = NMP)(Server = compserv01)(Pipe = ORAPIPE))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = oraserv1)
      (SRVR = DEDICATED)
    )
  )

where: 'oraserv1' is the database SID, 'compserv01' is server's name

Your listener should be configured to use any of these protocols. Possibly
all of them.

3. Settings used in data-sources.xml

        <data-source
                class="com.evermind.sql.ConnectionDataSource"
                name="Oracle"
                location="jdbc/DefaultCoreDS"
                xa-location="jdbc/xa/DefaultXADS"
                ejb-location="jdbc/DefaultDS"
                connection-driver="sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"
                username="danny"
                password="murphy"
                url="jdbc:odbc:yourdsn"
                inactivity-timeout="30"