Hi Lauren,

>Does this mean you (or the DB) retrieve the object
>from   from the database and save it to the file
>system (in the document root)?

That is correct.

> I would think this would be relatively slow.  I understand you said
Informix has a
> function to do this for you, and this may speed up the process

Actually, this is very fast, specially if the database and the app
server are on the same box, but even when they are not, performance is
very good.

> I would think this wouldn't be particularly scalable.

We have done some testing during our application development comparing
the use of this system against the more traditional method of having a
servlet retrieve the blob data using JDBC and performance is much
better, specially with large blobs.

Huibert Aalbers