What's the difference between the commercial version of orion and the
standard version (version anyone can download? Are there some disable
features in the standard version ? When is orion going to be open source ?.

thanks -----Original Message-----
From: Jay Armstrong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001 8:20 AM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: Re: SV: Not authorized to view this page

Like most "semi-open" products, the old saying, "You get what you pay for"
applies somewhat with Orion; however, considering you pay nothing for the
developer license and the developer license is infinite, it's a bargain.

There may not be much documentation, but this friendly orion-interest forum
is generally much more responsive and accurate than the support I've
experienced from WebLogic, WebSphere and IPlanet support.  The vendors
(BEA, IBM, and Sun) are much more likely to hide critical problems from
developers.

Note that these other products range in retail price from around $10,000
(WebLogic and WebSphere) to $35,000 (IPlanet) US dollars PER CPU, not the
bargain price of $1500 PER PLATFORM for Orion.  The total cost for IPlanet
on a 64-processor Sun E-10000 would be a over $2 million (not including the
database)!

These costs do not include the backend database.  HypersonicSQL is totally
free and is also totally Java, though it may be going through a transition
regarding support and future maintenance.  I've seen that many Orion users
have had success with another open database, PostgreSQL, that offers
commercial (for a price) support.

Orion's performance relative to other J2EE products is debatable, but I
believe it is at the very top, if not the fastest.  In addition, Orion is
pure Java, so it is very portable (I actually develop on my Win98 laptop).

Orion also compares very well when you consider that some of the grossly
overpriced products do not even support EAR and WAR files directly.

Other great features include automatic reconfiguration when XML config
files are changed, automatic detection and deployment of new/changed WAR
and EAR files, and the ability to develop enterprise and web applications
in directories (in lieu of deploying EAR and WAR files).

I can go on and on.  Say what you will, Orion works for me.  You're welcome
to use the others -- just don't forget to bring your checkbook!

Jay Armstrong
[EMAIL PROTECTED]