Hypersonic is dead...see at
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=68224 .

Instantdb is the only thing close.

The open-source developers of the Interbase project have revolted and taken
their code with them (hinting at lack of co-operation from Inprise).  They
can be found at http://firebird.sourceforge.net/fb_main.html . the project
nam is now (obviously) Firebird.

SAPdb is Oracle crap, frozen at v.7, with _lots_ of additional libraries and
no support (and damn few updates).  Find it at
http://www.sap.com/solutions/technology/sapdb/ .

For my money, if you cant find a decent db for your project at SourceForge
or Freshmeat, go with Sybase ASA or IBM UDB and pay for it.  Otherwise,
write your own.