I believe Interbase is totally free. For some reason Borland does not
emphasize this very much - maybe to make sure people don't think it is a
discount product. Interbase is released under a licence which besides the
usual juristical mumbo jumbo says the following three important things:

"grants You a world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license" (...)
"to use, reproduce, modify, display, perform, sublicense and distribute the
Original Code (or portions thereof) with or without Modifications, and/or as
part of a Larger Work;" (...)
"under Patents Claims infringed by the making, using or selling of Original
Code, to make, have made, use, practice, sell, and offer for sale, and/or
otherwise dispose of the Original Code (or portions thereof)."

And I feel sure that if it was not for these sentences there would not be an
open source project based on Interbase called "Firebird" at
http://firebird.sourceforge.net. - That's interesting by the way... when
Interbase went open source Borland was slow on getting up to speed with the
open source web community stuff, so the open source developers took the
project elsewhere and renamed it "Firebird", which means that Borland has no
control over what happens with the Firebird project. - Probably not what
Borland expected at all. Now the developers at "Firebird" claim they have
made a bunch of bug fixes which should be the reason to choose their
product.
Still, we are definately going to stick with Borland for now; after all they
have many years of experience with developing the product, so having them
control the open source effort somewhat might be a good thing.

Hope this clarifies what Borland did not make obvious at their web site.

Yours
Randahl