        From: Tim Endres
        Sent: Thu 4/26/2001 5:30 PM
        To: Orion-Interest
        Subject: RE: MVC/XML Framework Comments please

        > It sounds like Tim has a homebrew system for going directly
from Logic
        > to Presentation.  My team has been thinking of eventually
writing a
        > wrapper to expose JavaBeans (the model) as a DOM using
reflection so you
        > could still have a pull-based system rather than having to
build the
        > full tree ahead of time.  I'm not sure it's ultimately
desirable to skip
        > the Logic->Content step, although it would improve
performance.

        Not quite.

        We use Logic (Session Beans/Commands) --> Content (XML) -->
Presentation (XSL).
        We simply apply the XSLT transform ourselves, as opposed to
having Orion do
        it, so we can precompile and cache appropriately.

        I personally think that skipping the Content step is
shortsighted. For instance,
        our web page designers never need a live system to connect to.
We simply provide
        them with XML files and they write the XSL against the static
XML files. When the
        XSL is dropped into the live system, it simply operates on live
XML coming from
        the Logic layer. I think this abstraction is important.

        tim.

winmail.dat