On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Jay Armstrong wrote:

> Joseph,
>
> Generally, I agree, but...
>
> >> I am not applauding the support for WebLogic, WebsFear, IPlanit, etc, but
> >> if I report a problem with WebLogic to BEA, eventually it will filter to
> >> the gurus, who will respond (usually they ask for a reconfigure, restart,
> >> and a dump).
> >
> >And usually if people know your problem, they'll get to it here, too.
>
> Agree.  But most major customers avoid "semi-open" products because of the
> perception (right or wrong) that they can't purchase support, even if they
> have money to burn.

Sure. Is Orion "semi-open" now? Because I've never seen anything of the
sort, and I think I would have by now...

> I have argued that the orion-interest response is generally more accurate
> (than BEA, IBM & Sun) because the big players must hide their embarassing
> flaws from the competition.  This is why I believe Oracle MAY (not for
> sure! No flames please!) put pressure on Ironflare to be less forthcoming
> about internal flaws.

Sure, I can understand this -- good thing we have orionsupport.com, which
isn't affiliated with Ironflare. This is why I've never been willing to
advertise anything on orionsupport, and why I'm not directly affiliated in
any way with Ironflare - because I want the freedom to some day post
something like "Orion totally sucks in area XYZ" (not mentioning anything
like JMS, for example, am I?) without worrying about receiving a warning
from the Swedish Mafia.

> >> Who will handle this for Orion/Oracle?  Karl and Magnus?  They rarely
> >> respond now, so don't you think they could get even more overwhelmed?
> >>
> >> Please, point me to where Ellison talked about support.
> >
> >Heh, you haven't LOOKED at Oracle much, have you? They *already* have
> >support networks in place...
> >
> "The buck stops here" sign is on Karl's and Magnus' desk, right?  I hope
> they don't usually ride in the same car together all time. :)

Well, I didn't know they HAD desks - I can see Satan doing all his work on
a futon for some reason - but at this point, we don't know how much
responsibility Oracle has taken. *shrug* We'll see.