From: David C. Hindley
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 11/10/01 8:31 AM
Subject: RE: orion-list Radiocarbon datings

Geoff Hudson asks:

>>Is there any possibility that 'old' carbon was in the food chain of
animals reared in the Dead Sea area, and whose skins were used for the
Scrolls?<<

From, perhaps, the eating pitch or asphalt that had risen to the
surface of the Dead Sea? I've never heard of sheep or goats doing
this, but it is a distinct possibility.

In the past I have been amazed at the kind of things reindeer eat on
occasion (amanita muscaria mushrooms and urine tainted snow), so
eating pitch, etc., is not impossible. However, I do know that
ingestion of even small amounts of distilled petroleum products,
including naphthalene, can be deadly, so I wonder if this could have
occurred to any great degree.

Another possibility might be petroleum products (naphthalene?) that
were used in the preparation of parchment. The medieval process using
quicklime to remove the hair and soften the hide was known from about
the 4th century, I understand, but it is not certain what was done
prior to this, especially to soften the skins. The process of hide
tanning used by native American Indians included using oil (although
it was an oil of animal origin) to soften the skin, along with salt to
dehair it.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
For private reply, e-mail to "Suter, David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>