----- Original Message -----
From: "orion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 7:17 AM
Subject: orion V2001 #67

> orion            Tuesday, January 8 2002            Volume 2001 : Number 067

> Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:25:13 EST
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: orion-list Definition of Essenes (and Suidas)
>
> Dear George,
>
>     I wrote:
>
> >  "one would have to provide credible evidence that Epiphanius or the
> >  Suidas had accurate knowledge of the  Essenes. Indeed, this is also a
> >  requirement for Josephus, Philo and Pliny ..."
>
>     And let me add:
>     One can't simply assume that any ancient reference to the Essenes is
> accurate - even in the case of Josephus, etc.  I'm not saying the possibility
> that the Suda presents authentic is to be automatically excluded, just that
> it needs to be argued, and appears on the surface to be unlikely, given that
> it dates c. 1000 CE.  Epiphanius, also a late witness, seems only slightly
> less unlikely as a source of useful information.
>
>     You replied (in part):
>
> >  I think it is rather far-fetched that the Suidas editor(s) deliberately
> >  INVENTED the story of the Rechabite origins of the Essenes.
>
>      I don't believe the author of the Suda invented the tradition linking
> the Essenes and the Rechabites.  Rather, they relied here (as throughout the
> Suda) on older literary sources.  In my opinion the tradition grew as follows:
>     (1) Christian sources starting with Eusebius noted the semblance between >
Philo's Therapeutae and Essenes and the Christian monastic tradition (which >
began a century or two after the apparent demise of the Essenes); these
> Church Fathers (incorrectly) speculated / theorized / decided that the
> Essenes were proto-Christian aescetics based on the similarity.  This is
> already known to a certainty.

I'd like to know your source for that view.  It could be a powerful tool
in seeing what shaped the Torah post 70 CE.

>     (2) At some later point some church father also (incorrectly) speculated
> / theorized / decided that the semi-aescetic Rechabites also belonged in the
> ascetic "lineage" and made them the ancestor of the Christian-Essenes,
> based solely on their description in Jer. 35.  This is my hypothesis.
>     (3) Centuries later the Suda draws on that last-mentioned (unidentified)
> church father as fact.

Ah so. . .

>     (4) Centuries later certain (unidentified) scrolls researchers drew on
> the Suda as (possible) fact.  ;-)
>     The trick is identifying (2).  The fact that the alleged Rechabite origin
> of the Therapeutae-Essene(-Christians) is known no Jewish source
> (Josephus, Pliny), no Classical author (Pliny), and no Christian source
> (Eusebius, Epiphanius, Gregory of Nyssa, Sozomen) down to c. 400
> is best explained by the Rechabite theory first being proposed sometime
> 400-1000 CE.
>     My best educated guess, based on reading D. Rudin's _Philo in Early
> Christian Literature:  A Survey_ (Minneapolis:  Fortress Press, 1993),
> especially pp. 227-231, is that it was John Cassian (c. 360-435 BCE), whose >
book De institutis coenobiorum creatively (and incorrectly) traced the
> history of the monastic Cenobite order of Egypt at least as far back as
> Mark's church in Egypt.  I'd like to see if he mentioned the Rechabites, but
> I haven't been able to get hold of it locally.  If not John Cassian, perhaps
> some other even lesser-known writer on the history of Christian aescetics,
> IMO.  That some fairly late church father made the intuitive connection via
> Jer. 35 seems to me reasonable and accounts for the fact that the Rechabite
> origin of the Therapeutae was not known to Josephus, Philo, or any other
> actual contemporaries of the Essenes.

Interesting, but Jer. 35 is not known for certain before 900 CE is it?
It wasn't at Qumran or am I wrong?

>     The alternative is that some unknown source (c. 400-1000 CE?)
> somehow discovered that the Essenes (c. 25 BCE, maybe 100 BCE)
> originated with the Rechabites (c. 500 BCE).  How this discovery was first
> made at such a late date seems inexplicable to me - unless by creative
> exegesis from Jer. 35.

Again, what mss. of Jer. 35 do we have that would allow such being
done.

Perhaps I'm skating on very thin ice - a local hazard this year.

> (Or, if this fact was known all along, how does one explain that all Jewish,
> gentile, and Christian sources missed this detail until at least 400 CE?)
>
> Best regards,
> Russell Gmirkin

    Cheers,

Tom Simms

For private reply, e-mail to "Tom Simms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>