The solitary allusion to a death of the Teacher of Righteousness
is in the medieval CD 'B' text at CD 19.35-20.1 and 20.13-15
which speaks of a 'gathering' (death) of the Unique Teacher. (I
take Y/MWRH HYXYD to be a wordplay on the Teacher's
'gathering' of the yachad activity, but that is an aside.)

In my pNah study (forthcoming from Sheffield in a week or two)
I challenge the prevailing scholarly consensus of a dead, past
Teacher, or a Teacher known only from tradition, etc. I argue that
there is no reason to suppose the Teacher of Righteousness is
regarded as dead and past by any author of a Qumran text at
the time any Qumran text was composed.

The reason I challenge the scholarly consensus on this point
is because no Qumran text has
been shown to refer to a past death of the Teacher, or a
Teacher set in the past who is not living and contemporary.
There is not even an allusion to a death of the Teacher in any
fragment actually found at Qumran. The CD 19.35-20.1 and
20.13-15 allusions in the medieval copies (which I accept are
likely to be copies from Qumran texts) can be read either as
recent past, or imminently expected future, from the perspective
of the present of the authors
of CD. But existing context and syntactic information appears
insufficient to exclude either of those readings--so far as I can
tell, from my study at least. Therefore it
cannot be presumed, in the absence of an argument specifically
addressing and establishing the point, that the death of the
Teacher of the 'B' text of CD is *past* from the perspective
of the text (as opposed to being anticipated or expected).
And there is no sign of the Teacher's past death in any other
Qumran text.

Would anyone care to engage the text of CD and make the
case--which so far as I know has not been made (as
distinguished from innumerable assertions without argument)--
that CD requires a reading in which the Teacher is *already*
dead at the time the text was composed?

And as a corollary, if such cannot be established in the
CD passages just cited, is there any good reason on any
other grounds to assume the external referent of the
Qumran texts' Teacher of Righteousness was not alive
and contemporary at the time any text which refers to
this figure was composed?

In my analysis, all of the sobriquet-bearing figures of
the 'sectarian'/yachad texts are living and contemporary
at the late-end generation of the texts; the late-end generation
of the texts is also the generation of most of the text copies
as well (the 'single generation hypothesis'); this late-end
generation is mid-1st BCE; and all of the Qumran texts
were conveyed from Jerusalem and deposited in the caves
at Qumran c. 40 BCE. In my analysis the
Teacher in the world of texts never died at all--the Teacher
is a role in the world of texts of an historical figure who
became high priest in Jerusalem and left behind his role as
high priest-in-exile when he came to power again in Jerusalem.
As a snapshot of Hyrcanus II in exile 65-63 BCE as reflected
in the world of texts written by supporters, the Teacher of
Righteousness remains frozen in time...

I appreciate Ed Cook's earlier comment on mid-1st BCE,
and particularly the civil war between the brothers
Aristobulus II and Hyrcanus II, as being pivotal to the
Qumran 'yachad' texts. I think Cook is right on this
(as reflected also in the introduction to the Wise-Abegg-
Cook 1996 English edition of the Qumran texts). My
main difference with the Wise-Abegg-Cook interpretation
is they have Aristobulus II as a good guy and Hyrcanus II
as the bad guy from the perspective of the texts. I think I
show it was the other way around.

Greg Doudna

For private reply, e-mail to "Greg Doudna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>