David,

        Having written a dissertation and several articles on the Parables, as well as
several items on the Book of
the Watchers in 1 Enoch, I have several "comments" to make to your question below.
The first is that the
Parables of Enoch is a wisdom text that establishes a rather elaborate comparison (and
contrast) between the
order of nature and the human order -- which is probably why it is a mashal, generally
translated "parable" or
"similitude" here (see my article, "Mashal in the Similitudes of Enoch," Journal of
Biblical Literature 100 [1981]:
193-212, in this regard).  You're quite right to see a parallel between the heavenly
order and the human order here.
The Parables of Enoch as a whole plays both with a positive comparison between the
righteous and the
astronomical order and a contrast between the wicked (the kings and mighty of the
earth) and that order.  While
the Parables of Enoch is not among the Qumran manuscripts, it is probably not that far
removed from them.  One
of its names of the Deity is "Lord of Spirits," and it probably can be set alongside
of the Songs of the Sabbath
Sacrifice as a text that flows into the Hekhaloth tradition (see my Tradition and
Composition in the Parables of
Enoch, published by Scholar's Press, for comments on that relationship, which has both
cosmological and
celestial elements).
        As second observation is that the whole of the Book of Enoch is infused with
astrological lore that in one
degree or another operates with the same kind of parallelism.  The astronomical book
(which follows the Parables
in the Ethiopic version but which may be the earliest of the sections of First Enoch)
relates the heavenly order to
the calendar and comments that the progression of the seasons is out of adjustment
because of human
wickedness.  The Book of the Watchers establishes not only an elaborate comparison
between priests and
Watchers or angels (see my "Fallen Angel, Fallen Priest: The Problem of Family Purity
in 1 Enoch 6-16," Hebrew
Union College Annual 50 [1979]: 115-35), but one also notes that the Watchers names
indicate that they
represent astronomical and meteorological phenomena, and that as one works through the
journeys of Enoch in
the latter part of the Book of the Watchers, the text slips back and forth between
fallen Watchers and fallen stars
being punished because they did not follow the Torah and come forth at their appointed
times (in some sense,
there is probably a retention of an older idea in the Hebrew Bible of the stars as
ensouled and therefore capable of
exercising dominion over the seasons or of praising God).  For that matter, chapters
2-5 also establish an
elaborate contrast between the orderliness of nature and human wickedness.  It is my
argument that what one
finds in the Book of the Watchers is similar to what one encounters in the cult of
Ba'al Shamin (as described by
Teixidor in The Pagan God) in the early Hellenistic period, including an emphasis on
the subordination of the
celestial order to the supreme deity.
        I haven't been following this thread that closely, so I'm not sure how it fits
into the entire discussion, but I
am trying to respond to a question about the Parables.  It seems fairly clear to me
that the Book of Enoch as a
whole opens an unexpected window on a wealth of cosmological and astronomical or
astrological lore in
Hellenistic era Judaism, using that lore in a way consistent with the wisdom tradition
to establish comparisons
between the natural and human orders, and it's my guess that there are similarities in
the Scrolls, particularly in a
text like the Songs of the Sabbath Sacrifice.
David Suter
Saint Martin's College