there are a number of models for foss

one of these is the sharing for the continual development of the software
among peers

these works when the original author do not have enough resources to do it
alone. resources could be developers, testers, users, marketing / awareness,
etc

in the case of krimnet, we open source what we have so that we will have
more testers and hopefully more developers. for sure we dont have enough
people to do it on our own.

we make money on localised deployment - the fields that we concentrate are
on economics, demographics and textual analytics - where the subject matter
is more important than the sum of the programmers.

therefore for us we open source the generic horizontal layers so that we are
able to concentrate on the vertical industries.

the other avenue for money is from knowledge sharing such as training or
publication of books. these are physical services and products that people
still need to pay in either foss or proprietary models.

another reason for oss is customer driven. there is a large demand for
applications and source codes. this is to prevent vendor lock-in. before
foss became popular, companies used to pay a premium to acquire the source
codes.

by the way, we released our codes on the bsd license...