Hi James,

I don't have a work VR headset to test against right now so can't pitch in
with any testing or insights into OpenXR.  I did a quick look over your
changes and can share a few thoughts about general direction.

My recommendation would be to move your code into it's own osgXR library,
but stick with the osgViewer::ViewConfig approach as this as it should make
it easier for developers to switch between desktop and VR configurations -
a strength of your current implementation.

Creating a separate osgXR library will allow developers to use it against a
wide range of OSG versions, so won't need to do any updates, just link to
osgXR set up the viewer configuration and away they go.  This also
decouples the XR functionality from needing to be integrated within mainly
OSG and being released as part of an official release.  I'm spending most
of my time on the VSG project these days so have put the OSG primarily in
maintenance mode, so new stable releases are off the table till I get the
VSG to 1.0 (hopefully later this year.)

Within the VSG community we've been discussing OpenXR integration as well,
Again I see this is type of functionality that a dedicate vsgXR library
would provide, rather than being integrated into the core VSG.  While I
haven't personally done any work in this direction I can certainly see that
OSG and VSG XR integration could well follow similar approaches even at the
code level then are entirely separate.  Potentially both efforts could draw
experience and knowledge form each other.

Cheers,
Robert.