Hi James,

On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 at 07:43, James Hogan <ja...@albanarts.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure I follow this. Doesn't OSG's own stereo method use slave
> cameras too, or does it somehow avoid multiple cull traversals?

The built in strereo is one of early parts of the OSG, so 20+ years old,
and can be found in osgUtil::SceneView.  The interbakky manages two cull
and draw traversals, but isn't thread aware itself, so just calls them in
series.

Most modern OSG applications will use vsgViewer which was introduced in
OSG-2.x, this has the capability of doing stereo at the viewer level, but
it's up to the application to configure the master/slave cameras to create
the stereo.  The osgViewer still uses osgUti;::SceneView under the hood so
inherits it's stereo capabilities.  Personally I'd prefer to just implement
high level stereo uses master/slave Camera's in osgViewer and had a plan to
steadily replace SceneView usage, but never got there before starting the
VSG project.

The OVR_multiview functionality in the MultiView branch uses osgViewer
level setup of stereo, but it's at the application level it's one cull and
one draw traversal, the stereo happens entirely on the GPU.

Cheers,
Robert.