Stephane,

When we deploy txp databases, we always create an "archive.prj" file to
accompany the "archive.txp" file. The prj file contains a WKT-format
description of the projection. (WKT is a standard format that OGR can read
directly.) This, along with the offsets in "projInfo.txt", gives you
everything you need for spatial referencing.

As for the LA database, best guess would be either UTM 11N or California
State Plane Zone V. But that is just a guess. The real answer is to check
the source TerraVista project if you can. -gw

--
Glenn Waldron : Pelican Mapping : http://pelicanmapping.com : 703-652-4791